Extend my CPCS Red Trained Operator Card
Learn how to extend your Red Trained Operator card for 12 months or 2 years.
You can follow one of two routes, depending on when your card expired.
1) For a 12-month VQ extension, you must:
- Hold a CPCS Red Trained Operator card which is in date, or within 12 months from the expiry date
- Be registered for a VQ relevant to the category
Once these elements have been achieved, call the CPCS Helpline on 0300 999 1177 (option 2), confirm your details and make a payment of £28.00, you will be asked to provide proof of a VQ registration by email prior to calling. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with proof of the VQ registration. This is a non-refundable fee for the services of processing the application. This is a non-refundable fee for the services of processing the application.
A new card will be issued for 12 months (from date of application) to enable the VQ to be achieved. Once the VQ has been achieved, you will be able to apply to Upgrade to a Blue Competent Operator card
2) For an additional 2 Year card, you must:
- Hold an expired trained operator card by more than 12 months
- Hold a valid CITB health, safety and environment test
- Achieve the CPCS theory test (within two years of the CITB health, safety and environment test)
- Achieve the CPCS practical test (within six months of the CPCS theory test and within two years of the CITB health, safety and environment test)
- Both CPCS theory and practical tests are delivered by an accredited CPCS test centre. (Find a CPCS Test Centre)
- Be registered for the VQ.
Once all these elements have been achieved, the CPCS test centre will request the CPCS Additional 2 year Red Trained Operator card on your behalf.